Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Declared

It has taken me a long time to conclude what has probably been known all along. Some of my prejudices started back in the 80's when I was rather young. There were certain things that I saw that were detestable. One was the whole glam rock thing which is why I'm shocked and disgusted by some of todays fashions. I was 7 and could tell it was in bad taste. Another item of disgust was the red Liverpool football club jerseys people would wear with Candy emblasoned across the chest. Other images that always irked me were that of the Italian national football teams or club powerhouses AC Milan and Juventus. You would see them in the Italian butcher, I mean Barber shops in Fairfield.

When I was 12, I discovered the wonderful game of football, that is Soccer for the uneducated. I came to support Manchester United who at that stage hadn't won the competition for 20 odd years. Being slightly obsessive, this meant I would have to support teams in the various other Leagues around Europe. Livingston in Scotland because it was my Nanna's maiden name, Marseilles (because of Cantona) in France, Athletico Bilbao in Spain because they were Basques, etc... When it came to Italy, I would never admit it but I kind of liked Inter Milan. Partly because they were't AC Milan or Juve' and also they had the same shirt manufacturer as Manchester United.

To cut a long story Short, I went to the San Siro twice to watch them play and even bought a scarf. Forza Inter!

No comments:

Post a Comment